Fruitarian diet for weight loss: Gooseberry
Gooseberry (aka amla), a tiny little sour fruit, possesses maximum medicinal properties due to the presence of various poly phenolic compounds, tannin, vitamin C, amino acids, high moisture and fiber. They are the richest source of vitamin C among all fruits, which is a powerful antioxidant. Gooseberry tree is known to be sacred, as every part of it contains beneficial properties and used in various treatments including heart ailments, digestion, detoxification, reproductive and all other bodily functions.
Mixture of gooseberry juice or dry gooseberry powder with a tsp of honey consumed every morning can treat various health problems including obesity and related diseases.
Read on to know more:
- Low calorie fruit:100 gm of gooseberries contain only 48 calories and no fat. Digestion of this fruit burns much more calories than this. Hence, it is an ideal choice on a weight loss diet being a negative calorie fruit. You may enjoy these berries by sprinkling little rock salt or pepper as they are too sour.
- Richest source of vitamin C: Oxidative damage to the body cells is the major reason behind most of the diseases. Intake of antioxidant such as vitamin C, can prevent this damage and increase longevity. 100 gm of this fruit gives you 600 mg of vitamin C which is about 10 times higher than your daily requirement. Vitamin C found in gooseberries is bonded by tannin due to which it is not easily destroyed by heat and it is the most natural source of vitamin C that is readily assimilated in the humans as compared to the synthetic ascorbic acid.
- Best fruit for diabetics: It is an ideal fruit for diabetics as it contains chromium which helps stimulate the islets of Langerhans, a group of cells known to secrete insulin in the body. In this way, it helps maintain a normal glucose level in the blood. Also, the glycemic index for gooseberries is 25 which is very low. They do not spike up the sugar levels rapidly. A combination of gooseberry and bitter gourd juice or gooseberry and blackberry seeds powder can give you the best anti-diabetic effect.
- It is also helpful in preventing diabetic complications such as damage to the eyes, kidney and heart.
- Healthy for heart: The poly phenolic compounds, vitamins and minerals present in gooseberries combat free radicals, tone up and strengthens the heart muscles, help in a smooth blood flow throughout the body, lowers blood pressure and bad cholesterol. Gooseberry juice diluted with plain water consumed before meals is found beneficial is reducing body fats. It is important to consult a doctor before taking gooseberry supplements, if you are a cardiac patient, since it is a cardiac stimulant.
- Metabolism booster:Obese people usually suffer from a poor metabolism. Intake of gooseberry supplements regularly with exercise can increase the metabolic rate (rate at which your body burns calories at rest) greatly.
Relieves stress: Cortisol, a hormone released in response to stress in the body, causes weight gain.
Consuming gooseberries or even a head massage with gooseberry oil can relax relax and calm you, thus, reducing stress. It also improves the mental functioning.
- Prevents constipation:The fiber rich fruit (3.5 gm/ 100 gm fruit), helps soften the stools, and easy evacuation. It helps keep the system clean by clearing the bowels regularly. Regular bowel movement checks excess weight gain and keeps you fit. It also improves digestion, avoids acidity being a coolant in nature.
- Detoxifies blood: Heavy medication doses, alcohol, nicotine, etc build up toxins in the liver. Gooseberry juice strengthens the liver and helps body get rid of these toxins and purify the blood. Hence, it is used to treat certain skin problems caused due to blood impurities. Try gooseberry powder with warm milk or water at bedtime for better results.
- Treats hair loss: Washing hair and scrubbing the scalp with dry gooseberry powder or fresh gooseberry juice and then rinsing them with lukewarm water, prevents hair loss, boosts regrowth, restores their strength and shine. Obese women with high levels of androgens usually face hair fall problem, gooseberry juice can be an easy solution for long dense hair.
- Grants flawless skin: Applying a mixture of gooseberry and turmeric powder paste on skin reduces acne, makes it clear, soft and also improves complexion by removing toxins from the body. This is again beneficial for women with hormonal imbalances who usually present themselves with oily skin and acne.
- Improves fertility: Infertility is a common problem in obese individuals. Gooseberries help correct reproductive and infertility problem in both sexes. In females, it regularizes the menstrual cycle, strengthens the uterus and ovaries and eases conception. In men, it improves the quality and life of sperms, hence, increases the chances of conception.
Grab the tiny fruit, slice it in your salads, juice it up, use gooseberry face packs, oils, etc and revitalize naturally!